Thursday, February 24, 2011

Chapter 6.

1. I think that because the radio is relatively new, and there are still radios in every persons car and home, it only has more room to grow.   I think they need to start looking at other ways of doing some things, making it more interesting to today's crowd because there are so many different varieties of media coming through.  I really enjoy listening to them in the morning so I don't have to do anything but listen and start to wake up, I miss doing that on the drive to school. Although waking up at ungodly hours is not desired. I think of like NPR and how much that is dying and teenagers have no idea what that is, although it presents all sorts of kinds of news and different ways of living. I think the radio has it's art, but now it seems like it is all advertisements or ways to generate money for the station.  I worked for the USF radio and I noticed that people were generally uninterested in listening to what I wanted to listen to, and with all of the options out there, why listen to the radio and a dj at all?
2. I think it says that although we may be behind on some aspects, we are doing just fine with others.  I think the radio is kind of nice because we are hearing just the voices, and you have to be more creative to keep the listeners attention.  It is a beautiful artform though, music and the ability to hear.
3. I think that it does need to be controlled.  I think of situations like with Imus? said those things about the African American female basketball players, and then people who have loud voices like Howard Stern.  Their stuff is crude and written to be that way into the contract.  America wants controversy, but not for their kids to hear.  I think we need to keep kids as kids though, keep them innocent because we are allowed to.  Kids now days don't have to work for a living or have responsibilities because we have great wealth here.  It is an injustice to force them to grow up intellectually, but not in the other aspects.
4. I like hearing what is going on in other places.  It reminds me of what Egypt did with banning all access out or in, and I think as a word that is moving closer together it is not good to separate us through media networks.
5. No, I think they sometimes focus too much on what will make money or what lyrics are "safe".  Sometimes music needs to push the boundaries between diversity or injustice.  I am tired of hearing another love song.

No comments:

Post a Comment